Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Book of James

I seem to turn back to the same book repeatedly in the Bible. I have, in front of me, roughly 1100 pages of wisdom from God, and there is one book that sticks out to me time and time again. Maybe it's just that it's the easiest book in the Bible for me to find. Okay, wait. It's the easiest book in my personal Bible, for me to find. Why? Because some darling, precious offspring of mine decided to take my pink highlighter, and highlight....the first two pages of James. Unfortunately, to adult eyes, his attempt at highlighting looks way too much like scribbling. Yet, God has even used pink highlighter in my Bible to help me gain a better perspective on things.
I learned that, while what is written in the Bible is wisdom for leading a life honoring to God, the actual book, sitting in front of me, is just printed pages. If I worship these printed pages more than I worship God, I have chosen an idol for myself. I also learned that my son's know my Bible is special, and they want to know why. They want to be part of the times that I read it, they want to read it, they are familiar with the pages of my Bible. They like my Bible more than they like their own. Maybe, if I avoid harsh words about a highlighter incident now, then when they can read, they will still love this ol' thing, and will read it. Maybe their adoration for my Bible will ultimately lead them to the cross and an adoration for Christ that will propel them forward in all the things they will face in this life.
I don't want them to be afraid of any Bible, let alone mine. I don't want my kids to think printed pages are more important than them. I don't want them to think they can't share these truths with me. So, as I sit down to read James, I am thanking God for the scribbles. My Bible was not something my children considered off limits, and I am thankful for that. I hope to impart a better sense of how to take care of the things we are stewards over, don't get me wrong, I'm not all for tearing up literature, especially the Bible. But, I'd rather have a few more lessons about taking good care of our blessings, than trying to repair the damage of over reacting to an incident that really shouldn't be that big of a deal.

"Wherefore, my beloved breathren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God." James 1:19, 20 (KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment