Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Writing for Passion, Not for Profit

One of my best friends is working on a writing project, and I have been asking her questions and getting advice from her. She's shared lots of awesome stuff with me, and I think the one that stuck the most about writing was: "Write for passion, not for profit."
This hit me like a ton of bricks...like a loaded mac truck...like a baseball bat to the head...well okay, maybe that's a little exaggerated - especially since none of those things have ever happened to me. Regardless of how hard it hit me, it struck a chord, hit a nerve, and stuck. I keep thinking about it.

See, I had decided that this was going to be a profitable venture. I felt like God was leading me to write, write, and write some more. I'm working on this blog, getting ready to launch another one, and I'm working on a book or two (or four). I get inspired to add to my main book project almost every day, and I have really been enjoying blogging. I keep reading that I need to find a niche and stick with it, but I'm thinking I will just keep writing my thoughts and enjoying the shape this special place is becoming.

Now, feeling God-lead, Holy Spirit inspired to write, I figured I would be able to contribute financially to my families benefit. Then I took AdSense down because of the ads it was displaying. No profit there. I don't know if my book will ever be published, so I don't know if that will be profitable. Now, God never said this was going to make me money - I decided that all on my own. Then I decided, when I realized it wasn't going to be profitable right now, that I would just give it up. God had a different plan, He said "Keep Writing!" so, I am still writing.

Then my friend says, "Write for passion, not for profit." I think that God is filling up my cup, my lamp, my heart, I believe He is dusting me off, helping me to hone my skills and find what I am passionate about. Honestly, there are so many things I try to chase and do and succeed at, that I have missed what I am truly passionate about. As I keep writing, I'm going to pick topics that really get me fired up. I'm going to try to stop worrying about offending people by being truly passionate about something. I'm going to try to grow more into the person God made me to be, to discover the talents, passions, and motivations He planted within me. I'm going to give them to Him, and ask Him to grow the good seeds, and pluck out the bad ones.

I am going to keep writing, profit or not. I'm going to write passionately, I'm going to find things I truly care about and I'm going to write about them. This is the start of a journey that I can't wait to take!

What are you passionate about? How has God helped you pursue your passions? If you're stuck like me, not quite sure what you are passionate about, then spend some time this month praying and asking God to reveal your passions to you, so you can pursue them on your journey to be the person He created you to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment