Monday, May 2, 2011

A little late...

So, everyone is posting about Osama Bin Laden's death today, and I'm a little slow the race. Granted, I was up at 4 this morning, and should have had plenty of time to post early. But, I'm always a bit behind on the news, and by the time I saw a report about his death, I had wrapped up my morning writing time.

Besides, what can I add or say that isn't already being said?

Oh yeah, and I'm afraid to be controversial, I know, I know. Readers love controversy. But I don't like to stir the pot. But after thinking and thinking, I do have a thought.

How is the sanctity of one life any different than that of another life? Would it have not been a far greater victory that the leader of a terrorist organization came to Christ and lead some of his followers to a righteous standing with God?

I don't know God's plan, but maybe, somewhere, in the heart of someone that could reach that man, God was preparing a way. Maybe God was readying a heart and a person to have the courage to speak to Osama about Christ's love, mercy, forgiveness. Maybe his message would have changed from terror to transformation?

We will never know now, and my questions will remain unanswered. I have to say I am pleasantly surprised by the number of my friends that recognize that today America is celebrating a death.

No, I am not anti-American. I support our troops - especially knowing that they are following orders from higher ups. I just think our focus is skewed. It seems as though the focus of our prayers and thanks are not in line with what God is thinking or hoping for.

Romans 3:22-24
This righteousness is given through faith innJesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference between Jew and Gentile, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.

Guess I'll finish that other controversial post I've been working on...it goes right along with this.

Please comment, share your thoughts. Where do you stand? Should we be celebrating this death as a victory?

5 comments:

  1. Just my thoughts...
    Ezk 18:32 "I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign Lord; Repent and live!" So we know God wants all people to repent and turn from sin and evil ways. Ps 36:13 "The wicked plot against the righteous and gnash their teeth at them; but the Lord laughs at wicked, for he knows their day is coming" GOD IS A JUST GOD! It's so sad to see the enemy at work. He had his way with Laden and so many lives were lost. The death of Laden was fair and Just indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But his death came by human hands. The hands of a fellow man, and I believe that the reference in Psalms is directed toward judgment day. God laughs, because He knows that at the appointed time, all will stand in front of His throne. Christ paid a price I don't want to pay for myself, and He paid that price for all. God is a just God, and I am not arguing against that point, but as a just God, and the Creator of Justice - His justice is ultimate, and holy. Ours is skewed by sin and the need to justify our own sins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Should WE celebrate the death of one by our own hand? Good question. Your elected President made the call. Your protectors carried out the order. Now I have to ask, Is your president also in need of saving? Is his faith wrong? The Man who stands for our country is being celebrated for making a very hard decision. Many men before him made decisions to hunt this monster down. Your government leader who shares the basic faith of this monster made sure that OBL's faith was honored in his death and burial. In that fact have we not already gone above just revenge killing. He taught that we should be killed for what we believe and where we live. He cared very little for our faith.
    I know that monster is standing before God. Is he standing according to his faith or mine? His faith says he is being rewarded beyond measure, mine says that he must answer for what he has done.
    Are the people who believe their prayers have been answered wrong? Does the Bible say that if you do wrong you should not be held accountable by man? Does the Bible say that the people in prison should not be there because one day God will be their judge? Are we not supposed to live by the laws? The world left it to US to hunt him down and hold him accountable.
    I don't understand why being happy about justice is bad. I don't see how celebrating a victory over an enemy is bad. I don't see how feeling relief that this monster is no longer out there is the dark, is wrong.
    I have trouble seeing eye to eye with you on this one. I am however, very thankful we live in a place that we can have a healthy debate over this. You and I do not have to live in the fear that someone might find out what we are discussing and kill us for it. I believe we have to take all of that into consideration when looking at the people celebrating the death of one. Could they be celebrating the end of a long fought battle? I know you are talking about the ones who are joyful about OBL's death but we all cope differently with loss and fear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. John 8:6-8 says: This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.

    So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

    And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground.

    (I am not blameless or eligible to cast the first stone.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jesus told us to love our neighbor as we love ourselves. That means love. He gave us no exceptions like love the ones that love you back. In fact He said what does it gain a person to love someone who loves you.... you gain when you love those who hate you.
    Loving and forgiving does not mean their sin is ok or acceptable, it simply means we love and forgive and let God judge.
    I believe in supported the elected president and government leaders and I believe the soldiers did the right thing by following orders. Yes I believe our President needs to be saved- but would not even pretend to attempt that personally.
    I fall short and am not any more worthy than any other sinner, but am very grateful that OUR GOD loves me anyway.

    ReplyDelete