Tuesday, May 17, 2011

What my day has looked like so far:

6:00AM - I got up, and began sorting pictures on my computer. It was running sluggish until I removed 5 gigs worth of photos from it. Thank goodness for discs!

7:00AM - IT got up and wanted to watch Little Einsteins. I gave in.

8:00AM - IT wanted me to watch Little Einsteins with him. I gave in, thinking that AT would be up soon and we'd get some school work done.

11:00AM - AT woke up, started playing Little Einsteins again, because IT and I had fallen asleep. The TV coming back on woke up IT and I.

Noon - We left the house for the ATM, gas station, bank, ATM, and came back home.

1:45PM - We arrived home. I printed our spelling worksheets.

2:00PM - I let AT post another blog post. (http://zaymole3.blogspot.com/2011/05/target.html) (Yes, this is a little homeschooling project that my 5 year old wanted to do. I agreed. I get a lot of weird looks and comments when I admit that.)

2:20PM - I'm finishing this post, and we are going to go do school. And I secretly hope it's one of those super smooth days where we knock the work out and can get back to doing....all of this nothing that we've been doing.

When people look at me and ask how exactly I home school and keep up with it, my first thought is always something like "You should see how late I sleep some days!" Now, granted. I'm a writer that gets up at 4:00AM about 5 days a week, so I can work on my novel, but sometimes I get to nap from 7am-9am before the boys get up. That, my friend, is how I do it. I go to bed at 9pm, I get up at 4am, I nap from 7am-9am, then we start our day. And some days, we don't start school until 2pm, because that's just how it goes.

Oh, and my husband comes home and cleans the house. Because I am realizing that I just don't do so great at that. I pretty much just don't worry about it. And he walks in and screams like a lady (a poor lady scream, as Megamind would put it) and he vacuums, and gets the boys busy picking up all of their toys, and he cleans up after me. And he reminds me to switch the laundry (or he just does it!)

So, I don't do it alone. I don't do it precisely. I don't do it perfectly. I don't do it at the same time every day. Some days I don't feel like doing it. Some days go better than others. Some days I have no patience, and I make those days free play, and I highly encourage my kids to spend the day in the backyard or their bedroom. Other days, I'm in the groove, and I jump out of bed (or my writing corner) full of energy, I hunt my kids down, and drag them exuberantly off on some adventure. Sometimes they come willingly, and sometimes they are kicking and screaming the whole way.

This is just kinda how it goes around here! And we love it (usually)!

No comments:

Post a Comment